Pages


Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Quiet Mornings

You'd think that having a 7-month old puppy would mean restless nights, getting up every few hours to take him outside, waking up way too early every morning... but no. Somehow, from the 2nd or 3rd week of Vinnie's adoption, I started getting the same amount of sleep that I have always gotten. This puppy is so quiet in the mornings.

Sometimes I will open my eyes and just see him staring at me. His gentle brown eyes just gaze at me. Not demanding anything... He is not looking at me urgently, like "Let me out of here so I can go potty!" or, "Isn't it time to play yet, mom?" But just a curious, inobtrusive, "Hey. I'm up. Let me know when you are ready to get outta bed. I can wait." It is unbelievably sweet. Sometimes, if I don't feel like being stared at right at that moment (and who does at 7am?!), I'll say, "Lie down, sweetheart. It's not time to get up yet." He will then tread a few circles in his bed go back to sleep. It's very common that he will be up again in 10 minutes, and I will feel his soft gaze returning, but by that time I am usually ready to get up.

It is just a really good, wonderful, comforting way to wake up. Much better than those annoying alarm clocks. :)

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    That was deliciously sweet. Be careful or soon you will be writing about your kids!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete